Prenatal Yoga classes are suitable from the 12th week of pregnancy right up to birth. Even if you have never done Yoga before you are welcome to join a class. The carefully selected practices, which are safe during pregnancy, are designed to support women during pregnancy, labour and beyond.
Using Yoga postures, breath-work, meditation and relaxation techniques, mums to be learn to connect with their inner intuition, and are provided with tools to balance, to align and to strengthen the body and mind.
Some of the benefits of Yoga during pregnancy:
- Yoga reduces stress and anxiety through breath-work and relaxation techniques and creates stability in a time of constant fluctuation.
- Specific breathing techniques help prepare the body and the mind for the type of breathing useful during labour.
- Specific posture work can help you increase the strength, flexibility and endurance of muscles needed for childbirth.
- Yoga can relieve tension in the body and the mind, which can help to regulate our sleep rhythm and improve the quality of sleep.
- It tones and strengthens the pelvic floor muscles.
- It can help boosting circulation aiding fluid retention.
- Some Yoga poses can help optimize baby’s position and ease the discomfort and intensity of labour.
- Back pain is a very common complaint during pregnancy as posture is affected by the increasing weight of the baby: Yoga improves posture and helps relieve back pain.
- You become part of a supportive network as you meet other mums to be to share your experience, questions and concerns.
- You get to enjoy a calm and relaxing atmosphere and some “me time”